Colleen McCarty’s practice areas include general and commercial litigation, business crimes and government investigation matters. Colleen has extensive First Amendment experience, with a primary focus on protections for freedom of speech and the press. She has also successfully handled civil matters for various media entities. As a former investigative reporter, Colleen is uniquely skilled in the areas of public relations strategy and crisis management. Prior to joining Gentile, Cristalli, Miller, Armeni & Savarese, Ms. McCarty was an associate at Gordon Silver.
While in law school, Ms. McCarty served as an extern to the Honorable Kathleen E. Delaney in the Eighth Judicial District Court where she prepared civil, criminal, business and foreclosure mediation dockets, researched and analyzed motions, and drafted bench memoranda. She was also awarded third place in the Nevada Law Journal Scholarly Writing Competition for her article, “Breaking News: An Examination of Fair Use in the News Reporting Context.”
Before joining the legal profession, Colleen was an award-winning investigative reporter with the 8 News Now I-team. Colleen was honored with four of journalism’s most prestigious awards in a single year, including the broadcast equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize, the duPont-Columbia Award, for her work on “Desert Underwater,” a comprehensive examination of the housing crisis in Southern Nevada. In addition to the duPont-Columbia award, Colleen received the prestigious Peabody award, the Society of Professional Journalists: Sigma Delta Chi Award, and multiple regional Emmy Awards.
Ms. McCarty graduated cum laude from the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She also holds a Master’s Degree in Broadcast Journalism from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communications from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Administration of Justice’s Victims of Crime Sub-Committee, Advisory Commission Member, Nevada Attorney General
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada Pro Bono Project Award Recipient, 2014
- Nevada Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame Inductee 2014
- Nevada Law Journal Scholarly Writing Competition, 3rd Place
- Panelist, “New Media” at Nevada Federal Courts Media Conference, US District Court Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Student Attorney, Family Law Clinic, Wiliiam S. Boyd School of Law
- Intern, Children’s Attorneys Project, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Community Service Program Instructor, William S. Boyd School of Law Affiliations.